Re: [Nautilus-list] HTTP Directory Browsing

Thomas Haschka wrote:

> If I want to connect to my driveway account, I'm entering the following
> URL "http://files.driveway.com/user.haschka"; into this "Open
> Location...". Then the Explorer asks me for my username and my password,
> and then I could browse the folder like any other on my system. When I
> type the same URL into Nautlilus he tells me that I have no permission to
> view that folder. So I tried to do it like if I want to open a ftp folder,
> and typed in "http://haschka:password files driveway com/". After I did
> this Nautilus showed me the front page of driveway.
>
> Thanks for help,
>
> Thomas

Hey Thomas--

In addition to the lack of general authentication support that Ramiro
mentions, the PR2 release of Nautilus contains an unfortunate hack that
basically disables the "View as Icons" pop-up in the root directory of a
DAV-enabled site.  We'll certainly change this for the next release.  If
you wish, I can show you what modification you need to undo this hack.

Support for HTTP authentication, unfortunately, probably won't make it
into Nautilus 1.0.  The main reason is that we want to do a general
authentication mechanism for Gnome-VFS, and we just don't have time to
do it right now.

Mike