Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop window

> > 6) It allows Nautilus to easily add a right-click menu to the desktop.
>
> This seems like a very minor point since numerous programs (gmc,
> sawfish, enlightenment, etc etc) do this quite successfully.

Enlightenment/Sawfish are window managers and have extra abilities in this respect.
GMC was an ugly hack, that didn't work half the time (with Enlightenments multiple
desktops or whatever Raster called them).

> I'm interested in which ones, because Nautilus is the only one I've seen
> that creates annoying effects when you move windows. Is this because we
> can't redraw fast enough? Actually...this seems to be a systematic
> problem with X...application windows seem to redraw very slowly.

EFM for one.
I never noticed much slow redrawing around when moving windows around when I tried
Nautilus with the desktop thing. In fact, I was quite impressed that they had
got a canvas drawing so fast.

iain