Re: [Nautilus-list] View As Packages Menu Choice...

on 10/16/00 9:14 AM, peter foley at peter foley Sun COM wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I was having a look around Nautilus, and I navigated to a directory
> where there was only RPM's, I highlighted one of the RPM's and right
> clicked. The Open with Package Viewer option became available. When this
> was selected, the View mode changed to 'View As Package', with a really
> cool interface...The thing is that there was no View as Package made
> available to the user when I navigated into the dir. I reckon that if
> there are RPM's in a dir. that the View As Package should be available
> from the drop down menu on the Location Bar....What do ye think??? Or is
> this a known issue???
>
> thanks,
>
> Peter....

Hi Peter,

This is according to design. The list of views in the "View as" option menu
in the location bar contains the views that pertain to the currently-viewed
location. In your case, the currently-viewed location is the directory full
of RPM files. The directory itself is not an RPM file, so it doesn't make
sense to view the directory as a package.

The list of views in the "Open with" submenu contains the views that pertain
to the selected item. In your case, the selected item is an RPM file, so
"Open with Package Viewer" makes sense. Note that "Open with Icons Viewer"
does not appear, because it doesn't make sense to view an RPM file as if it
were a directory. (Well, it could imaginably make sense, but it isn't
currently supported by Nautilus.)

For another example, if you were looking at a directory in which a text file
were selected, the "View as" option menu would not include "View as Text"
because the directory can't be viewed as if it were text. But the "Open
with" submenu would include "Text Viewer", because the selected item can be
viewed as text.

Please let me know if this explanation isn't clear.

John