Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus Smoke Test --- first draft, feedback Request.

Hi David, thanks for speaking up.

Note (which you may have already realized) that we're not talking about
whether something is possible or not, but only about the default behavior
you get from a drag. You can always right-button-drag to be presented with
the choice of move/copy/create-link.

I think you're right that one of the most common cases on the desktop is
links to commonly-launched applications. I think another common case is
documents that the user wants to temporarily store in an "obvious" place for
easy access. In the app case, drag-to-create-link is the handiest default,
whereas in the document case, drag-to-move is the handiest.

But note that "handiest" here is not necessarily best. If we make dragging
to the desktop use a different default than dragging elsewhere, we've
introduced an invisible difference that some users are bound to stumble
over. People will make mistakes because they expect the drag to behave as it
does elsewhere but it will behave differently.

So it's a tradeoff (like everything). The tradeoff is between "handiest
behavior" and "most consistent behavior". Tradeoffs like this where the pros
& cons are along different dimensions are very hard to judge.

John