Re: [Nautilus-list] Files copy

On 13 Sep 2000, Jean-Michel Ardantz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Nautilus, I can only copy files from a directory to an other directory in
> the same level of hierarchie using drag and drop.
> Ex: from /home/dir to /home/dir/dir1   => possible
>     from /home/dir to /tmp   => not possible
>
> How this operation is planed to do :
> 1- Using Copy and Paste from menu ?
> 2- With a contextual menu on the file opening a dialog box ?
> 3- Using Drag and drop on a left Sidebar panel with directories tree ?
> 4- Other ...

Personally I'd prefer a visual clipboard.  Drag files into the clipboard
rectangle, navigate around on the filesystem, then move the files off the
clipboard to their final destination.

If the clipboard was really ~/.nautilus/clipboard/, the files could live
there indefinitely.

This is inspired by the work area in Aldus PageMaker, where you could drag
text clippings off of the page and they would stick to the work area when
you moved around in the document.

-jwb