[Nautilus-list] Re: Proposed change in MIME capplet UI

"Arlo Rose" <arlo eazel com> writes:

> > I'm now proposing that we eliminate this behavior. Users will be able to
> > remove any of the built-in data through the capplet UI. Any such removals
> > will be stored in user-specific delta files without changing the built-in
> > system file. We'll provide a button in the capplet to reset all the settings
> > to the built-in version. (The implementation for this button will be to
> > delete the user-specific delta files.)
>
> Hey All,
>
> I had been running under the assumption that we were deleting this
> behavior... so I'm all for it.
>
> I've never been completely clear as to why that restriction was originally
> made, but it clearly doesn't make much sense.  A user is obviously going to
> want to delete an unnecessary MIME type at some point, and this will become
> more prevalent when smart applications start adding their own MIME types to
> the list, making duplicate entries.

Hi Arlo,

It's not going to be the case that a mime type shows up twice in the
list ever, I think. So that's really not a concern.

I had a mild concern that users could kind of screw themselves this
way, for instance if they delete the x-special/directory mime type,
and all info about it, Nautilus might break rather badly. Slightly
less bad (but still fairly bad) is if a user deletes a very common
mime type, like text/plain.

However, John suggested a button to reset to factory defaults as it
were, perhaps that addresses the concern.

 - Maciej