Re: [Nautilus-list] Fonts

Ross Burton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed the latest snapshot, and apart from medusa crashing
> rpm as it installs (weird) it's nice, especially the font stuff. Some
> comments:

This bit about "medusa crashing rpm" sounds like a serious bug.  Can you
file this at bugzilla.eazel.com with information about your system ?

> * the kerning seems a little tight. Attached are two images showing
> Nautilus, using Tahoma as the font. That is my GTK font so I know that
> it displays properly normally.

If I knew how the kerning is supposed to work, I can probably work on
this.  If you know about this (especially with regards to freetype2)
please file a bug about how it should work.  The screenshots help and
maybe you could attatch them to the bug report.

> * why are there two different types of font lists? One has the GTK font,
> lucida, times, courier etc; and the other has a subset of fonts which I
> have installed (appears to be a selection from the TTF fonts)  What I'd
> like to see is the GTK font available in all selections, and then an
> educated guess for a shortlist of fonts, then finally an option to
> "select another font" which would bring up the font selector dialog.

The issue here is that Nautilus' usage of smooth text completely
bypasses the x server.  Hence the 2 different font pickers for each case
smooth vs non-smooth.  In the smooth case we do all the font reaping
from the system by hand.  In the non-smooth case we use the normal x
font machinery.  But, as you point out, the choices in this case are
hard code.  The widgetry/preferences for picking fonts is a little
better in the CVS HEAD version of Nautilus.  I also have plans to make
the non-smooth font picker better.  We already have bugs for these
issues.  You can add comments to the specific bugs here:

http://bugzilla.eazel.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=ramiro&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=font&short_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=substring&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=Bugs+changed+in+the+last+1+day&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time

> Thanks for the cool product though,
> Ross Burton

Thanks for trying it and filing bugs.

-re