Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilus desktop directories.

On 12 Apr 2001 21:45:40 -0300, Cesar Cardoso wrote:
> Em 12 Apr 2001 11:52:27 -0700, Darin Adler escreveu:
>
> > A number of Nautilus users have already requested that the desktop go into a
> > directory with a simpler name. ~/.gnome-desktop is shorter than
> > ~/.nautilus/desktop, but I was hoping for something even better. (For
> > example, tigert wants ~ to just "be the desktop".)
> >
> Maybe something like ~/desktop? It's short, it's not hidden (these
> .hidden desktop dirs annoys me).
> Or even maybe people from GNOME and KDE should meet and agree on an
> unified desktop dir and file style. Using the same dirs and icons on
> Nautilus, gmc, kfm, kruiser, konqueror... sounds interesting.

This really should be the ultimate goal.
There is no real reason why different filemanagers should use different
desktop directories.  Presumably, if I am using gnome exclusively, it
won't affect anything at all.  And if I am using both GNOME and KDE (and
E17 whenever it comes out), then I get consistency between environments.

Furthermore, it would be great to make sure that everyone's using the
same mechanism for Trash.  It is just confusing otherwise.  If I want to
undelete something, I really shouldn't have to think about which
filemanager I used to delete it.  That should be a point of easy
agreement and collaboration for the various desktops.

    --Ryan