Re: [Nautilus-list] Integration of gmc and nautilusdesktopdirectories.

On 16 Apr 2001 20:26:10 +0000, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > Yes, but seeing as we've removed the c:\windows\Profiles\iain crap and
> > replaced it with ~/ I don't see that it's that much of a problem. We
> > cannot control what goes into the ~ directory. applications may dump
> > random crap in there, a core file may appear there. We can have all the
> > extra stuff we want (.hidden files, rename files to pretty things) but
> > in the end, nothing is going to be perfect, because we cannot anticipate
> > everything that will happen. Until we do have control of all the apps a
> > user is likely to run (by GNOME 2.2 surely :) having the Desktop being ~
> > is not a good idea.
>
> This is a cleanup issue. I have been running with ~ as my desktop for a
> few weeks now. The only annoying things that have been dumped there have
> been ns_imap and a Java Plugin info trace once. It turns out that
> applications are pretty damn respectful of the ~/ folder. Violating the
> sanctity and non-clutter of the folder tends to invoke wrath, even
> (particularly?) in console-based circles.

So it does, and will happen.
Why should I have to do something extra to hide it, whereas if we just
make the desktop not ~ then nothing will happen.

However the best solution I've seen so far is a user configurable
desktop, cos no-one is ever going to be satisfied. [1]

iain
[1] I don't usually like screaming that everything should be
configurable, but in this case it seems important.