[Fwd: Re: [Nautilus-list] paypal]

Ximian and Eazel are just about the last two companies left that care
about Linux on the desktop. RedHat's Matthew Szulik was quoted in the
current issue of Linux Magazine as saying about RedHat's decision not to
buy Corel, "...Microsoft had 92 percent of that category. We didn't
think it was a very forward-looking category. A lot of smarter people
than us fought that war and lost." Most of GNOME's other financial
contributors (IBM, Sun, etc.) don't care much for the desktop either. I
hope that Eazel (or at least its developers) can hold on. GNOME as a
desktop platform is pretty much dead otherwise, since Ximian doesn't
have a desktop to write apps for without an actively maintained
Nautilus. Plus, Eazel is the only GNOME company I've seen anything
_original_ out of. Yes, we do need a component architecture and an
Outlook clone, but if that's all that GNOME has to offer on the desktop,
why not just use Win2K?

Andrew