[Nautilus-list] problem when launching Nautilus

--- Jean-Bernard DAMIANO
<jean-bernard damiano ulticom com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I launch Nautilus in root there is no problem.
> Bu When I try to launch on other user I have
> problem:
>
> Nautilus print on my srceen:
> ** WARNING **: GConf error:
>   Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
>  Error contacting configuration server: OAF returned
> nil from
> oaf_activate_from_id() and did not set an exception
> explaining the
> problem. Please file an OAF bug report.
>
> ** WARNING **: GConf error:
>   Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
>  Error contacting configuration server: OAF returned
> nil from
> oaf_activate_from_id() and did not set an exception
> explaining the
> problem. Please file an OAF bug report.
>
> ** WARNING **: GConf error:
>   Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
>  Error contacting configuration server: OAF returned
> nil from
> oaf_activate_from_id() and did not set an exception
> explaining the
> problem. Please file an OAF bug report.
>
> ** WARNING **: GConf error:
>   Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
>  Error contacting configuration server: OAF returned
> nil from
> oaf_activate_from_id() and did not set an exception
> explaining the
> problem. Please file an OAF bug report.
>

> It propose to run nautilus-clean.sh -x to reboot,
> reinstall nautilus
> It prints taht the configuration server can't be
> contacted
>
> is prints that it cans locate Nautilus_shell.oaf
> file.
> but this file exists on my computer.
>
> I use the version 1.0.1.1 with Mandrake 8.0
>
> Could you help me ?
>
> Thanks.

This might be an ownership/permission issue with
Mandrake 8.  Try this:

Log in as root and go to the user directory.  Check
the ownership of the Desktop and .gnome folders.  My
desktop folder was owned by 500:ntools.  Try changing
the ownership and permissions of those folders and
their contents.

There may be more ownership issues with Mandrake 8.  I
haven't found any.

dj