Re: [Nautilus-list] throbber out-of-process

On 02Aug2001 10:26PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Andy Hertzfeld <andy differnet com> writes:
> >        Why don't we try running it in-process again to see if we think
> > it's acceptable nowadays?  If it still sputters too much we can always
> > switch back.
> >

> Fair enough. I do see your point about the main loop though, I imagine
> it could be choppy even if we fixed quite a lot of blockiness in
> Nautilus. Perhaps the main loop has an inherent tendency to be a
> somewhat unfair scheduler since it isn't preemptive.

I don't think that's the problem - the real problem was that Nautilus
had a lot of synchronous I/O in it that it really shouldn't have, and
some overly slow algorithms. I think a lot of the blocking I/O has
been fixed, but putting the throbber back in-process will be great for
pinpointing the remaining trouble spots.

Regards,

Maciej