Re: [Nautilus-list] Allowing view components to provide editing (UI and architecture issues)

On 03Aug2001 02:36PM (+0100), Calum Benson wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
> > | The Text Viewer has unsaved changes for the file      |
> > | /tmp/hit-list.txt. Save before changing locations     |
> > | to "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnobob";?                |
> > |                                                       |
> > |              [ Yes ] [ No ] [ Don't change views]     |
> > |                                                       |
> > +-------------------------------------------------------+
> >
> > The wording in these dialogs is a very rough cut (Darin, Andy, or any
> > other usability experts lurking on this list, do you have suggested
> > improvements?) Also, I'm not sure if offering three options is best
> > here.
>
> Putting aside the wider usability issues of being able to edit text in
> the preview pane or not, it's usually a poor idea to have "Yes" and "No"
> buttons in a message box.  So you'd probably want something like:
>
> 	You have made changes to filename.txt.
> 	If you want to keep them, you must
>         save this file now.
> 	[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]
>
> Or, if you want to be consistent with the more Mac-alike button ordering
> that's been proposed for 2.0, rather than with the rest of Nautilus:
>
> 	[Cancel] [Don't Save] [Save]

Thanks for the suggestion, Calum. The problem I see with this proposal
is that it's unclear from the text what Cancel does, and in
particular, how it is different from Don't Save. Any suggestions for
that?

Regards,

Maciej