Re: [Nautilus-list] throbber out-of-process

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> How about trying it with this:

> Nautilus does not use much C++ but it does use a lot of shared
> libraries. I bet it will improve startup time for the Nautilus Mozilla
> component even more, since Mozilla is C++ _and_ uses a lot of shared
> libraries.

Yes, Jakub developed that for this RH release. We decided not to turn
it on by default though; it's not tested enough. There's some way to
enable it in the beta, if you are in a bleeding-edge kind of mood.
It basically works.

(Owen says the "some way" is edit /etc/prelink.conf then run "prelink
-a")

Alex tried it with Nautilus, I don't think the results are dramatic.

> Have you tried checking out how much of the memory is constant
> overhead and how much depends on how large a directory you are
> viewing? Perhaps it's possible to make some of the data structures
> more space-efficient.

Indeed.

Havoc