Re: [Nautilus-list] preferences

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> I'd agree with you if it this were a new feature, but it's a feature
> that already works.

I don't think it's a particularly user-visible feature. No one is
going to notice if the expert defaults are more like beginner defaults
in 6 spots.

Plus the feature is IMO actively broken right now. I don't guess
anyone is going to care about my do-it-the-GConf-way evangelism until
we actually have a usable GConf admin tool, maybe I should finish off
the one from Sun.

But if you use your imagination you can probably see the issue.
Imagine displaying /apps/nautilus/preferences/foo; normally it has a
bunch of docs, etc. from the schema alongside it, and displays system
and factory defaults there too. It might have buttons like "revert to
default," etc.

So the docs for /apps/nautilus/preferences/foo would have to say
"please ignore all the info and buttons displayed in this tool, here
is the weird way Nautilus works. Go to the
/apps/nautilus/defaults/apps/nautilus/preferences/foo key, and edit
that instead of editing this."

Anyhow, I'll give it a rest, and try to come up with a patch in the
next few weeks. No doubt new solutions will become apparent during the
hacking process.

Havoc