Re: [Nautilus-list] preferences

Ramiro Estrugo <ramiro fateware com> writes:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > I think what I'd do for $HOME is store the default as some sort of
> > magic string which gets filled in with "the default home."
> > (Although this particular example is a non-issue in RH branch for now,
> > I recognize there's a more general problem.)
> >

> I would simply rather do completely away with these dynamic defaults.
> Im happy to hear this is not an issue in the RH branch.  How is that
> ?

One of your later mails sounded like you figured this out, but if not,
the answer is that we removed ~/Nautilus, so everyone has the same
"home"

> The ideal of a "dynamic default" is in a way an oxymoron and confusing
> anyway.

Yes, I think if you have a dynamic default you sort of keep sysadmins
from setting any sort of default. Often you can arrange things to
avoid the need for this. For this example, you might do an enum
setting such as:

  home_dir = nautilus_dir | unix_home_dir | custom

then something like:

  custom_home_dir = "/foo/bar"  (defaults to "", since no sensible default)

which would be used if home_dir = custom.

> So I think we are in agreement to proceed as follows:

Sounds good. I can't do the patch(es) this weekend, but it's something
I want to work on. Probably a) finishing RH release then b) merging RH
branch will take priority, then I can do it.

Havoc