Re: [Nautilus-list] run-nautilus

On Monday, August 20, 2001, at 04:01  PM, Havoc Pennington wrote:

 - if you do not normally run Nautilus, but run it from Programs menu,
   it should not manage the desktop; presumably you just wanted a file
   window. But "manage desktop" should really be in the preferences,
   so you can change whether it manages the desktop.

So in summary, you're saying that you would like running Nautilus from the Programs menu to turn off the "manage desktop" preference, and overwrite the old value stored in that preference, unless Nautilus is already running. We don't currently have a way of doing that from the command line (although you might be able to do it with gconftool :-) And if Nautilus is already running, you want it to do what?

 - if you are in KDE, you see all the GNOME menus. Running Nautilus
   hoses you badly (KDE decides it's a fullscreen presentation program
   and covers up the KDE panel).

We do whatever it takes to prevent this nightmare.

Also, we need to hack gnome-libs to add --no-desktop to the usage of
Nautilus as a help browser, in case you choose help for a GNOME app
from KDE.

Well, we need to solve the problem. I'm not sure that the current "--no-desktop" is the solution.

    -- Darin