Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: URLs fixed, some Eazel removed

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Christian Meyer wrote:

> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I really don't like the doorman or the kpersonalizer; I don't think
> > preferences are that interesting, that they should be in your face
> > before you even use the desktop. The only reason people care about
> > prefs so much is that customization is pretty much the main exciting
> > feature of the UNIX desktops right now, and the two desktop projects
> > are so competitive they are all getting in your face and saying "look
> > at me!  look at my features!"
> >
> > Certainly a wizard before you even use the desktop is a crazy place to
> > put prefs, no one has any basis to make the decisions they're given at
> > that point...
>

> People who don't like it can simply skip the dialog. Poweruser can
> configure some bits at least.

Well. Powerusers can find the preferences without an initial dialog, and
it probably won't do enough for them anyway. Having newbies having to
"skip something" they didn't understand/know how to deal with and wonder
if they did something wrong is just bad.

/ Alex