Re: [Nautilus-list] buttons are back ...

Hi Havoc,

	During the process of opening nautilus, entering the same location
and opening a new window I get ~35 bonobo-activation-server query
invocations - from the main nautilus process.

	For an example output see:

	http://primates.ximian.com/~michael/nautilus-corba.log

	for a timestamped log; search for '->query ('

	The output is slightly muddled it seems, but things of the form:
1007438812.6537 are timestamps - and judging from them it looks like it
takes ~ 100-200ms per query. Possibly because the queries are relatively
complex, and have sort orders and the server is not optimized for that, or
possibly because a lot of data comes back, also quite possibly because it
simply takes quite a while to printf all the data that comes back in the
debugging process.

	In fact it does seem, having build a small test that it takes only
~25ms per query with a small Gnome 2.0 set of controls - perhaps this is
more substantial in Gnome 1.4, so it's the debugging making it slow;
still, if we could save 25 * 10 ms per window / startup it might help
considerably, and make the debugging more useful. Also an 'oaf' query
tends to walk a 1Mb working set - which might have some swap implications
for smallish systems.

	I'll just go run the tests again on my gnome 1.4 setup.

	Regards,

		Michael.