Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

Steven Hatfield wrote:

> KDE2 gives me visual feedback in that the task bar shows an entry
> for the application that is starting with a spinning disc next to it, and
> then once the application is fully realized, the spinning disc turns into the
> application icon. This is a great first step (for KDE2 users, at least)

We're working on implementing something along these lines for GNOME,
too... they were trying to hammer out an architecture for it on one of
the lists recently, but I don't know which one off-hand.

> Why is it that we can't change the way our pointer looks?

We can, but windowing systems based on X make it hard work, because a
pointer change has to be associated with a particular window.  Which is
fine for some sorts of feedback, but not so good if you want to use the
pointer to indicate some sort of desktop-wide status, for example.
(Which isn't to say that there aren't still a lot of things we can all
do to improve feedback in our GNOME applications-- another topic for the
GNOME Interface Guidelines to address!)

Cheeri,
Calum.