Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

John Sullivan wrote:

> I don't think we are disagreeing here, but I'm not quite sure. In the
> version that the users were tested on, they could change the text in a text
> document viewed in Nautilus by typing or deleting, which was a bug because
> no changes could be saved. This has since been corrected so that you can't
> change the text by typing or deleting. Therefore we are "stopping them
> before they try" and not forcing them to do something wrong and then redo
> the operation.

Perhaps presenting the read-only view on a grey (or at least non-white)
background would emphasise the read-only nature of the document-- as is
conventional with text fields etc.?  At the moment it still *looks* very
editable until you try.

Incidentally, this thread prompted me to play with it a bit, and I
notice there's no contextual menu in the text doc viewer on the version
of Nautilus I'm running (0.5.0), which was the first place I looked when
I tried to copy some text.  (Even more annoyingly, my selection was
deselected as soon as I clicked the right mouse button to look for
it...)  A bug, a feature, or something that's since been fixed...?

Cheeri,
Calum.