Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

This is somewhat off-topic, but since noone else has mentioned it, I thought I would.

A program exists for GNOME called 'Xalf' that provides numerous forms of
visual-feedback when launching applications.  Many distributions, such
as Mandrake, come with it pre-installed.  Xalf is fully configurable.
You can have it launch a splash screen, change the cursor to an
hourglass, create a window in the taskbar, or use a weird animated star
thingee.  It is just a wrapper.  You launch the applications through
Xalf. (xalf -i netscape).  This is the approach KDE has taken.  If you
use the run dialog, Kicker, or double-click an icon on the desktop, it
simply launches the application through some wrapper.

All that needs to be done with GNOME to provide visual feedback is to
include Xalf as a GNOME app (Preferrably turned off by default, as I
find the visual feedback somewhat annoying.  I like watching my
CPUmonitor applet:)

- James