Re: [Nautilus-list] Sorting Directories First

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Pavel Cisler <pavel eazel com> writes:
>

> > I dunno about this one. Sorting should be based on the sorting rules of a given
> > locale, not on the ASCII values of the letters. The fact that it sorts the way
> > you describe in Unix is arguably sloppiness.
> >

> Perhaps it should not be the only mode but it would be very useful to
> have it be an available mode because of the way existing things are
> layed out. I suspect ls may have code to list files with capitals
> first but using locale collating rules by now, which we could look at.

Nautilus is not ls. Overloading file names to make them more prominent is pretty
tweaky. Systems that have file managers like Nautilus use more preferable means
of making files more prominent, such as giving them a distinct icon and distinct
placement in a folder icon view - check out for instance any installation CD on
the Mac.

Pavel