Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus Impressions

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, John McCutchan wrote:

> I have a Athlon 750 Thunderbird with 128 MB's of ram. And nautils is very
> slow at opening up a window. I don't think the average user has something
> as fast as I do and it is probably painfully slow for them. A simple
> stop watch test tells me it takes on average 4 seconds for my home directory

And it's not really dependent on the number of itmes in the window or
anything. It's just painfully slow.

I have a PII-400 with 192M memory and I just tried to open a directory
with 5 files in it. First I started nautilus in my home directory, waited
until CPU usage went down and then dubbeclicked on the directory. It took
6 seconds until the window showed up but then the iterior of the window
was all grey and after 16 seconds the 5 files showed up. And during the
whole time my CPU meter showed 100% usage.

It's simple not usable at all, as it is now. It looks good, but we will
have to wait maybe 3 years before the computers are fast enough for
nautilus.

So, are there any hope of getting a faster nautilus? Are there any flags
one can use to turn off debuging or something? I have only run prebuilt
versions of nautilus so I don't know exactly what things where built in.

My experiense is that most projects that are slow in the beginning will
continue being slow.  Mozilla for example could be like 50-60 times slower
rendering some pages compared to Opera or IE. Instead of fixing that
people are adding more features.

I'm curious to know if there are any eazel-guys that are on top of the
speed issue and that "know" that it will be fast when this and that have
been fixed.  Or are everybody just hacking away on their parts...

--
/Dennis