Re: [Nautilus-list] "start here"

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 mitch nuclear physics gatech edu wrote:

> 	A while back there was talk about a "start here" or "lounge
> room" type icon or menu as a place for users to start the use of the
> computer. Anyway, I was just messing around with my desktop and had a
> simple idea that would be kind of neat. If you look at the screenshot at
> http://fluxstep.org/download/whee.png , you'll see a column of icons. At
> the top you'll see a icon that is not only bigger than the rest but stands
> out amongst the others in geometry. I was thinking of having the
> "start" a bit like this. Perhaps make it standard for the object to be
> bigger, and circular. Then each person, theme, etc... can put its own
> emblem on it. In my case it has a ximian emblem. On top of this, it would
> be cool if there was some type of light, flash, or whatever animation on
> the circular icon that would draw additional attention to itself. Perhaps
> this animation can occur after the computer sits still for more than 20
> seconds. I know this is not a very big idea but sometimes it's the little
> things that make a big difference.

Not a bad idea, though I think we could do better than a circle with a
monkey in it (no offense to Ximian folks--your logo kicks arse...just
doesn't lend itself to being an intuitive "starting place" icon).  I
like the idea of an animated icon--as long as I could turn off icon
animations.  Maybe it could animate on mouseover too.

Ideas for the icon:

A door.
An arrow or spiral maybe with the word start.
A picture of a button.

Is anyone currently working on the "start here" view/icon?
I'd be glad to help out or start work on something like this.

name:    Jamin Philip Gray
email:   jgray writeme com
icq:     1361499
jabber:  jamin jabber com
web:     http://DoLinux.org/jamin/

To be able to say how much you love is to love but little.

--Petrach