Re: [Nautilus-list] select all, unselect all and invert selection patch

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Kevin Vandersloot <kfv101 psu edu> writes:
> > You can do this already. Just select all, and then select each file
> > you want to unselect holding down the alt key. You can even drag
> > unselect while holding the alt key. It seems to me the Invert
> > Selection is a bit esoteric and there is no need to add another item
> > to Nautilus' busy menus if the feature will not be used very
> > much. I, for one, very rarely want to perform the action you refer
> > to.

I tried this in 1.0.4 but could not get it to work. Pressing Alt when
selecting individual already selected files did not make anything
happen. Maybe you meant the shift key? It does unselect previously
unselected items when clicking them.

> Yup. Cluttered menus bad. Soon you end up with a huge usability
> problem.
>
> Every feature has a price...

"Usability by removing menu entries" has both advantages and
disadvantages. It may make the interface cleaner, but at the same time
you may remove a necessary hint that helps users know the functionality
even exists.

Christian