Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus on freebsd - questions on nautilus_application_startup

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:01:23 -0700, Darin Adler said:

> On Thursday, July 12, 2001, at 08:41	AM, Klaus Herrmann wrote:
>
> > i continued my debugging and got a liitle further. nautilus calls
> > Nautilus_Shell_open_default_window(), but never returns from it. as
> > this code is really really ugly autogenerated code, i really don't
know
> > what to do next about it. any ideas?
>
> The ugly autogenerated code is a CORBA stub. This is how CORBA calls
work.
>   It should be pretty easy to step through this ugly code (hold your
nose
> while you're doing it) and see where it goes. While the code may be
ugly,
> it's not impossible to decipher. In the end, if it's working
properly, the
> code will end up calling through to a function inside the same
process. If
> you instead find it sending data out a socket or something like that,
then
> you are seeing some kind of ORBit bug, because this should be a call
> within the process.
well, the problem is: my usual printf() calls won't work. even if i
have a printf at the very beginnig of the call, it doesn't print
anything. actually, even a printf() right before the function is called
isn't executed. (but the if condition definetly jumps to
open_default_window). maybe this is a compiler thing? (i use
gcc-2.95.3).
and debugging CORBA is quite hard for me as i have never done anything
with it :-(

> [By the way, the autogenerated code could be made easier to read. But
that'
> s a matter for the maintainers of ORBit. I think they are looking for

> efficiency and are not concerned with how the code looks, but I'd
love a
> debug mode where the code was simpler and easier to read even if a
bit
> slower.]
sure, that would be cool.

> > by the way, if i avoid the Nautilus_Shell_open_default_window()
call,
> > nautilus complains that it has no viewer capable to display
> > .gnome-desktop - i hope this is a consequence of disabling the
default
> > window and not our next problem... :-/
>
> I expect this indicates a problem with the result of an OAF query,
and I
> presume it will be the next problem. I doubt it has anything to do
with
> the default window issue.
d'oh. but let's proceed step by step....

> Have you done any tests of Bonobo and OAF alone? I ask because it's
pretty
> hard to debug ORBit, Bonobo, and OAF using Nautilus as the test bed.
If
> these packages are already known to work, it can save you a lot of
time
> and headaches; it's a lot easier to debug Bonobo and OAF test
programs
> than Nautilus as a whole.
i agree. the oaf test programs seem to work fine (with an empty server
started in the background). so do the bonobo test progs. some seem to
hang at the end, but in general they do work.
and programs that use oaf/bonobo, e.g. galeon and gnumeric work
flawlessly on freebsd. ok, evolution doesn't. anyways, i do suspect one
of those to be buggy.

regards,
	Klaus

--