Re: [Nautilus-list] Rename Eel

On 18 Jul 2001 22:37:44 -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2001, at 05:37  PM, Michael Rothwell wrote:
>
> > Is there any chance that the Eel stuff will get rolled into GTK and/or
> > Gnome libs? That will solve the naming problem, at least. :)
>
> Sure, there's a chance.
>
> But note that it's not necessarily true that all the code in Eel belongs
> in gtk or gnome-libs. You have to look at things individually. The eel
> library has a lot of different things in it. Also, there's no one who's
> driving the process of getting all these functions into platform libraries,
>   and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

<snip>

> If there's a particular function in eel that you wish was in one of the
> platform libraries, I know that the library maintainers would be receptive
> to that suggestion, especially since the eel function will provide a
> prototype. That's already happened with a number of functions for GNOME 2
> (more or less), like gtk_window_present.

I'd like the font stuff to go somewhere. I don't know where though,
because I recently had to rip it out of eel to use in a project I'm
working on and didn't want to depend on eel, just cos it had loads of
stuff I didn't need. The only problems I had doing this were replacing
stupid things like eel_str* functions with the appropriate str*
function, and replacing eel_string_list with g_strsplit.

BTW, do you know how slow eel_string_list is? My test[1] of adding N
items to the list and then counting them gives these results.
N = 10000:
real    0m0.536s
user    0m0.520s
sys     0m0.020s

N = 50000:
real    0m33.129s
user    0m32.420s
sys     0m0.670s

N = 100000:
real    3m0.665s
user    3m0.440s
sys     0m0.230s

N = 1000000:
Got bored after 51minutes (35pages of my book[2]).

After I fiddled with things (caching the tail of the list, keeping a
count of the number of items internally, changing the slist into a list
and adding an accessor function to retrieve the list from the
private[3]) I got these results:
N = 10000:
real    0m0.297s
user    0m0.210s
sys     0m0.090s

N = 50000:
real    0m0.336s
user    0m0.240s
sys     0m0.100s

N = 100000:
real    0m0.384s
user    0m0.260s
sys     0m0.120s

N = 1000000:
real    0m1.408s
user    0m1.070s
sys     0m0.340s

Would you like this patch? The main reason I did nothing with it was
that EelStringList is used about 6 times in the whole of Nautilus/Eel
and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

iain

[1]: Not a very good test, but it was like 3am when I wrote it :)
[2]: Miss Wyoming by Douglas Coupland. Not bad, but still his standard
storyline - People get fed up with their life and how empty it is and
break out to discover new things. Girlfriend In A Coma is still better.
[3]: Not the nicest idea, but iterating over a list using nth is
<federico>broken</federico[4]>
[4]: The first time I was flamed on a public list was because I was
doing this and Federico made large EEEEEEEEEEEEK noises.