Re: [Nautilus-list] Oh no, more feature requests!!

On 25Jul2001 04:31PM (-0700), Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2001 17:49:45 -0300, Juliano Soares dos Santos wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First let me thank everyone who had contributed to Nautilus. You did a great
> > job!!!
> >
> > A lot of people had requested features lately, and I have to give mines too
> > :-)
> > Here we go:
> >
> > 1) Tree sidebar reorganization
> > Take a look at: http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~juliano/nautilus/tree.png
> > Right now, the sidebar shows the tree as it is. That is, it shows the root
> > (/), when expanded shows home, usr, tmp, and so on.
> > My suggestion is to mask things a little, making navigation easier. In the
> > base of the tree is better to have the user home, the machine (/), and
> > removable medias (when mounted). Maybe we can put here the magic desktop
> > URIs from RedHat Labs too.
> > I think Windows, KDE, Mac work like that.
>
> I like it for usability, but it breaks the filesystem up in an
> inconsistant way. There may be a better way of doing this or putting it
> in a tab other than the tree tab.

I would be glad to reorganize the tree view but I think a bit of
thought overall needs to be put into how Nautilus presents the
filesystem and what common shortcuts there are. I'll post my thoughts
soon.

> > 2) When dnd an image with right button into another icon, show an option to
> > set this image as the icon
> > Take a look at: http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~juliano/nautilus/setasicon.png
> > Just to speed up things (I change icons a lot).
>
> I agree. EFM had all settings come from middle-drags and it worked
> great.

This sounds like a decent feature. I'd like to work on it, but it will
help if you can file a bug report at bugzilla.eazel.com to remind me.

While we're on the topic, I would reqlly like to change query-drags to
be based on the middle button instead of the right button, so the
right-click menu can come up faster. Does anyone object to doing this?
I know Pavel (who did a lot of the DnD work) objected before, but he
no longer works on the project.

> > 3) Change zoom widget on the toolbar
> > Take a look at: http://www.eps.ufsc.br/~juliano/nautilus/zoom.png
> > Again this is just to make navigation faster. For example, I'm in the
> > default view (100%) and I want to zoom to 400%. I need to pass to 150%, then
> > to 200% and finally to 400%. With the widget change I can pass directly from
> > 100 to 400%.
>
> Tried right clicking on it? (Though I agree that a standard widget would
> be good.)

The zoom control does have some usability issues (particularly the
fact that the menu is a bit undiscoverable, but I'm not totally sure
this is the best replacement. Do any UI experts have good ideas?

 - Maciej