Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus optimized?

    Sebastian> On 01 Jun 2001 15:06:32 -0500, Jamin Philip Gray wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, profiling is not my area of expertise.

    Sebastian> Neither is it mine. But I'd like to learn. Can someone give
    Sebastian> me some hints where to find documents that explain profiling
    Sebastian> so I can learn it?

A good place to start is with "info gprof".  You can also access gprof
documentation online at

    http://www.gnu.org/manual/gprof-2.9.1/gprof.html

You may also find gcov a useful adjunct to gprof.

Gprof is a profiler that provides both counts of the number of times various
routines are called as well as program counter sampling to determine in
which functions a program spends most of its time.  Output is a call graph
that helps identify potential hot spots in your code.

Gcov is a statement coverage analyzer that is often used to measure code
coverage for testing purposes, but also provides counts of basic block
execution.  Its output is a listing of the C source files in your program
annotated with execution counts for the basic blocks.  Gcov doesn't have its
own info documentation or man page.  You might find a little about usage in
the gcc docs.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
(847)971-7098