Re: [Nautilus-list] fixing the fact that updating menus takes a lot of time

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 08:38  AM, Alex Larsson wrote:
>
> > The problem is not the I/O. The problem is that each view of that
> > directory gets a lot of file_changed signals, which leads to every view
> > updating it's menus. Due to braindeadness in Bobobo, updating the menus
> > takes a lot of time, so performance drops rapidly as you get more views
> > displaying the directory.
> >
> > For more info on this, see my mail on 12 Jun with subject
> > "Re: [Nautilus-list] hidden files bug".
>
> Here's my thinking on this.
>
> I want to build a layer on top of Bonobo (probably in
> eel-bonobo-extensions.[ch] or in libnautilus-private) that keeps track
> of the UI items and their state in some fast data structure, like a
> hash table. Then, when the menu update is done, we'll build the
> appropriate XML and send a single piece of XML to Bonobo for changes
> in the component's menus and nothing at all if nothing changed.
>
> Before now I resisted doing this because I thought that what Alex
> calls the "branddeadness" in Bonobo would eventually get fixed. And
> because this problem would affect any other substantial Bonobo
> component and program. But now that it's clear I need to do it, it
> should be pretty easy to do.

Are you sure that's not Bonobo that need to be fixed ?
We could start by making this hack in eel, then move it to bonobo thought.

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere | One luser tried to change his password on Mandrake. Not
MandrakeSoft         | having any imagination at all, he entered "penis" for a