Re: [Nautilus-list] FAM in nautilus.

On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 04:47  PM, Adam Zolkover wrote:

BTW, what is the status of FAM in 1.0.3?

If FAM is present, Nautilus 1.0.3 uses it. We went out of our way, though,
 to make sure that it compiles without FAM (yielding a Nautilus that doesn'
t work with FAM at all) and runs without FAM even if it was compiled with it.

The FAM/Nautilus combination works great and lots of people are satisfied with it. We just need to take a tiny additional step to get rid of these unnecessary reloads when FAM is present. Since no one is stepping forward to do it, it will have to wait until the next time I do Nautilus coding, which will be about a week and a half because I'm out of town next week.

What will it be in 1.0.4?

No plan to change it.

As I said, I really like what I've seen of what FAM can do, but I don't
think that it's functional if kitame's 1.0.3 packages (not sure though).

There are really only two issues in making FAM work with Nautilus 1.0.3:

1) Installing FAM properly -- for most people this means getting an appropriate FAM package that makes the FAM daemon run. It's easy to find FAM packages that don't automatically start the daemon.

2) Using a build of Nautilus that was done on a machine with the FAM development headers and library installed. I don't know if kitame did this or not.

The Ximian Nautilus almost certainly has the FAM support compiled in.

    -- Darin