Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: Darin doesn't work effectively with Yoann?

On 19 Jun 2001 16:49:29 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On 19Jun2001 11:11AM (+0200), Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:
> >
> > Darin, I think you come from the commercial world and that you don't
> > have a really large experience with free software. Now let me tell
> > you something : credit is probably the most important thing.
> >

> Yoann, I think Darin understands free software a lot better than you
> do. The most important thing is making the software better. Credit is
> secondary. While I believe in giving credit where it is due, I also
> think demanding credit is rude and childish.

I have to agree with Yoann on this one - credit, is the only motivation
one has in free software. Many hackers hack, only to get their name in
the ChangeLog (and maybe the About box). To do almost anything, a person
needs motivation. "Making somebody's software better" doesn't always
work.