Re: [Nautilus-list] File Properties

--- Begin Message ---
On 25 Jun 2001 17:50:09 -0700, Ramiro Estrugo wrote:
> Adam Zolkover wrote:
> >
> > I am not a programmer, so I don't know how much I can do about this, but
> > I had a suggestion for a better way to handle file properties.  First of
> > all, there should be a permissions tab in the properties window that
> > allows the user to change file permissions like they could in GMC.
>
> You know thats exaclty what is available in Nautilus right now, right ?

Actually, I had no idea that this is in nautilus right now.  Is it in
1.0.4?  Because I'm using 1.0.3 and it's not there.  Huh.  I guess that
I'll just have to wait for the next release.

> > Additionally, though, what if there was an option for a "Properties"
> > sidebar panel.  The panel would have all of the functionality of the
> > properties window (including file permissions), and it would allow the
> > manipulation of properties for whatever file was highlighted at the
> > time.  If no file was highlighted, then it would show the properties of
> > the current directory.  I don't know.  Just a thought.  I was using
> > nautilus today and it occured to me just how much more convenient
> > manipulating file properties would be if there were a panel, so I
> > thought that I'd pass it along.
>
> I think if well implemented, this feature would be definately be an
> advanced feature.  It might be useful for really advanced users that
> need to manipulate file permissions of many files at once.

I think that this feature could be useful for everybody.  If you want to
change an icon or a filename, this would make things much easier.  I
like the idea of changing filenames in a sidebar panel much better than
I do using the rename menu item.  I find the menu item unwieldy for the
most part.  I think that this would also make emblems much more
accessable and therefore more useful.

Adam.

--- End Message ---