Re: [Nautilus-list] Naulitus: FontSet creation error

"Sergey V. Udaltsov" wrote:

> > Yes, im sad this didnt make it into 1.0 as well.  We found out about it
> > too late.
> >
> > Im going to checkin a fix for this bug into the HEAD soon.
> OK. I've studied the patch and found that it works if FontSet could not
> be created. But probably there is a way to create the necessary fontset?
> I've heard about some manipulations with gtkrc files. Can anybody
> explain me how this machinery works?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sergey

There are a few problems conspiring to make this not work:

1) The list of fonts we put in the non smooth ("normal") font picker is
hard coded
   Bugs 7748 and 7401

2) We are using an ultra lame hack to "translate" the fallback and
"helvetica" fonts for different locales
   bugs 7345, 7347 (and 7350 is somewhat related as well)

3) We dont do the best possible job of picking a good default font
   bug 7204

The combination of these bugs means that for some locales it is
impossible for a user to pick a font that has the right encodings for
that locale.

The "fix" in bug 7686 is really a work around.  Without looking at the
gdk_fontset_load () code, I cant really say why it fails for your
particular case.

Im currently working on fixing these problems.

Thanks for your patience.

-re