re: [Nautilus-list] gnocam camera:// moniker and thumbnailing

Michael Rothwell writes:

 > Another problem is, Nautilus cannot make a ".thumbnails" directory
 > on the camera, so it cannot display thumbnails at all. It might be
 > nice to have nautilus use a substitute directory in my home dir for
 > read-only media like cameras and CDROMs, so that it can still show
 > thumbnails for images on read-only media. Maybe
 > ~.thumbnails/proxy/camera:__previews s20/IMG_0336.JPG.png"

I think it would be a good idea to use a substitute directory
*always*.  As a basic principle, Nautilus shouldn't pollute any
directories it doesn't own, except for the standard configuration
points ($HOME, $HOME/gnome, $HOME/.gnome-desktop).  With Nautilus 1.0,
I had the very unpleasant experience of burning a CD-ROM and finding
unwanted .nautilus-metafile.xml files all over it afterwards.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson