Re: [Xpert][Nautilus-list] Re: Feature request: mouse gestures in Nautilus (fwd)

We're doing some of this sort of thing with PDA's today: look at the fscribble
stuff being done on the iPAQ H3600. It is implemented as a separate process,
something like a window manager.

There are issues still to work out (we have to currently do a modal display;
on the other hand, you can do your scribbling anywhere on the display,
allowing you to scribble anywhere you like and preserving screen real-estate).

One of the issues is how to provide feedback to the user.  We currently
do this (would like translucent windows of arbitrary shapes), but it takes
a good 100 mips or more to make it fly.  Someday it would be nice to do
better.

Another item which can be used in X for this is the mouse motion stuff:
it is possible to get high resolution of a mouse path even though you don't
handle it that way all the time.

So there is yet more to try/do: we're still in early days figuring out
exactly what makes sense and where.

But it seems unlikely that building it into the X server is the right idea,
given how far we've gotten to date.  There may be some X extensions required
to really get all this to work well, and further experimentation is clearly
in order.
				- Jim

Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development