Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: gnocam camera:// moniker and thumbnailing

I checked in the fix for this -- now all thumbnails will be created in the
centralized location ~/.nautilus/thumbnails if at Advanced user level you
change "Make Folder Appearance Details Public" (in Speed Tradeoffs) to
Never.

John

on 5/10/01 6:02 PM, John Sullivan at sullivan eazel com wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> the preferred diff format is described in the HACKING file in Nautilus
> sources. The short form is: 'cvs diff -pu >patch'.
>
> My first reaction to your patch was that re-using the USE_PUBLIC_METADATA
> preference for the thumbnails was conceptually wrong. But it grew on me, and
> I now think that it's not only sensible but better than having a separate
> preference for this. (If a user wants to avoid scattering
> .nautilus-metafile.xml files around their disk, then they probably want to
> avoid scattering both .thumbnails directories for the same reason;
> conversely, if they're working in a shared environment where it's useful to
> share the metafile data among multiple users, then it's an advantage to
> share the thumbnails as well.)
>
> Your patch will work, but is not the most efficient way to write this.
> There's a mechanism to access preferences repeatedly that's quicker than
> calling get_preference (or get_integer_preference or whatever); you set up
> an "auto-storage" variable for the preference and then just use that
> variable. You can search the code for "eel_preferences_add_auto_integer" for
> examples.
>
> I think this is a good change to make and I'll try to finish the idea by
> using the auto_storage mechanism in the next few days. If I'm not getting to
> it quickly enough, you are welcome to redo your patch using the auto-storage
> mechanism and post it again.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> on 5/9/01 11:46 AM, Michael Rothwell at rothwell holly-springs nc us wrote:
>
>> Here's a diff to make thumbnailing follow the "metadata" preferences. Now I
>> have to figure out how to get gnocam's bonobo module to preview the images on
>> the camera.
>>
>> -M
>>
>> p.s.. what's the preferred patch format?
>>
>> RCS file: /cvs/gnome/nautilus/libnautilus-private/nautilus-thumbnails.c,v
>> retrieving revision 1.19
>> diff -r1.19 nautilus-thumbnails.c
>> 31a32,33
>>> #include "nautilus-global-preferences.h"
>>> #include "nautilus-metadata.h"
>> 97a100
>>> NautilusSpeedTradeoffValue preference_value;
>> 104a108,114
>>> /*  make thumbnails in central location according to setting of
>>> NAUTILUS_PREFERENCES_USE_PUBLIC_METADATA -- thumbnails are metadata, right?
>>> */
>>> preference_value = eel_preferences_get_integer
>>> (NAUTILUS_PREFERENCES_USE_PUBLIC_METADATA);
>>> if (preference_value == NAUTILUS_SPEED_TRADEOFF_NEVER) {