Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: nautilus-throbber / BonoboEventSource refcounting

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:49:43PM -0400, Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	To do this, we need some heavy duty ORB hooks, and to have more
> information as to the intention of a ref, or better still built in
> automatic Bonobo ref counting support.

So I might be talking out of my ass because I haven't used any component
models other than Bonobo and some of my own hackery, but people have talked
about refcounting based on refs that expire after a short period of time. I
think they were called leases. This solves the problem of a process dying
because if the lease isn't renewed, the ref gets decremented. It would suck
to have to care about this in apps/components (having to ref/unref is
enough of a pain in the neck), but thats what we've got libraries for. It
should be fairly simple for libbonobo to emulate a ref-unref interface but
be safer.

Ian