Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On 23 May 2001, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> I still think that this is a bad idea.  If a user does not have the
> ability to set the +x bit using Nautilus or gmc (following instructions
> on how to do so when downloading the installer), why is that user
> qualified to click "OK" on a dialog box that says "make sure this binary
> comes from a trusted source"?

Checking whether the user is "qualified" is hardly a task that the
software is qualified to undertake, and clearly this type of functionality
is useful once security issues.

If you don't provide adequate information to the user for them to make a
decision, it's your fault. If you do provide adequate information and the
user decides "incorrectly", stop feeling guilt for their problem. IT'S NOT
YOUR PROBLEM! :)

-- Elliot
A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place.
	(WC Fields)