[Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On 24 May 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > - On desktop, perhaps show "Havoc Pennington's Home" instead of
> >   "hp's Home"
> > - For user prefs folder, use full name also, "Havoc Pennington's
> >   Preferences"
>
>  It would be nice to make the name format configurable ("My foo" vs
> "userjoe's foo" vs "Joe Smith's foo" vs "foo").

We're trying to cut down on the number of preferences here. If you don't
like the default name, just rename the icon. You can even call it "Xyzzy"
if you like.

Adding preferences for these things is just a way to avoid actually
making decisions.

> > Default prefs
> > ===
> >
> > - disable tearoff menus by default
> > - disable tearoff menubars by default
>
>  I think tearoffs is a very useful feature and they should be enabled by
> default - they don't take much space. It's one of the big advantages of gtk
> over other widegsets, and they are erally very useful (e.g. when searching for
> some document in the "Recent documents" user has just tear off the folder menu
> rather than navigating to that submenu each time).

Tearoff menubars are totally on crack, I haven't seen or heard about
anyone ever actually using them. Tearoff menus is a bit more useful, but
still I don't think I've ever used them myself.

/ Alex