[Nautilus-list] Refs & Leases ...

Hi Ian,

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Ian McKellar wrote:
> people have talked about refcounting based on refs that expire after a
> short period of time. I think they were called leases.

        As far as I am aware, the prospect of leases is not attractive for
desktop component software for several reasons:

        * Total interface re-design

        * Horribly inapplicable to in proc case => need 2 lifecycle
        management systems.

        * Inefficient for lightweight components wrt. memory use

        * Sometimes erroneously destroys valuable components & thus data.

        Leases are good for some things, but simple as they sound, I don't
think they solve our problems, still I havn't contemplated leases much so
I'd appreciate input from anyone on:

> It should be fairly simple for libbonobo to emulate a ref-unref
> interface but be safer.

        How ? and BTW. the predominantly hub / spoke type referencing we
have now will turn far more anarchical and cyclic with finer grained
components.

	Regards,

                Michael.