Re: [Nautilus-list] harder tasks

On 02Nov2001 01:00AM (-0500), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK everybody, Darin needs assistance.  Some general harder porting
> tasks I cataloged while digging around in the code:

It would be great if we could get nautilus to actually run long enough
to display a window without crashing on startup, even if the window
contents are wrong initially. The idea of doing significant rewriting
blind makes me nervous. I don't know which of your points below are
needed to get to that point.

>  - what do we do about smooth fonts and various old GdkFont
>    code
>  - how do we implement ellipsize_string and the ellipsizing
>    label
>  - do we reapply all Nautilus hacks to 1.2 CList,
>    this time to 2.0 CList, or do we just port EelCList to 2.0
>    in-place, or do we just port all uses of CList to TreeView

Darin and I discussed this breifly a few weeks ago. We came to the
conclusion that it would be best to ultimately port everything to
GtkTreeView, but it's probably not the most efficient way to bring up
a basic working version of Nautilus. Porting to GtkTreeView means
major rewrite action for the tree view, the music view, the list view
and probably other things I'm forgetting.

On the other hand reapplying the clist hacks to the latest version
seems like a lot of throwaway work.

>  - there are some apparent bonobo compat issues I don't
>    know anything about
>  - how are we going to parse .desktop files in the places where
>    GnomeDesktopEntry was used

>  - fix the icon cache to not need gdk_pixbuf_set_last_unref_handler

Did that get removed for 2.0? That would be ironic, since it got added
specifically for the benefit of this Nautilus code.