Re: [Nautilus-list] How do Nautilus locations that end in a colon work?

on 11/12/01 6:56 AM, Mark Sobell at mark sobell com wrote:

> I am trying to figure out the correspondence between the Nautilus
> locations that end in a colon (such as start-here:) and the filesystem.
> I found /etc/X11/starthere and /usr/share/control-center, but cannot
> correlate the rest of what I see in the Nautilus Location bar with the
> directory structure. Would someone explain this to me? Thanks,

Here's a rough summary:

These special locations are arbitrary. There's no particular pattern. They
are implemented as gnome-vfs modules. The part of a URI before the colon is
called the "scheme". The way gnome-vfs works, each scheme can have its own
special code to handle it.

There's code to handle the standard URI schemes like "file", "http", "ftp",
and others. And then some special schemes like "start-here" were added. Most
of those were added by the hackers from Red Hat -- so they're the best
people to explain which schemes they added and the rationale behind each
one.

    -- Darin