Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus-1.0.4-gmc.patch

on 11/12/01 9:56 AM, Frederic Crozat at fcrozat mandrakesoft com wrote:

> I agree this should be done at first-time setup but this is also needed
> when users delete their ~/.gnome-destop (that is why I added this code
> in nautilus-file-utilities.c)

I don't think it's a given that you want to do this any time a user deletes
~/.gnome-desktop, although I understand you decided to do that for Mandrake.
It is nice to have a way to reset the icons to the default, but deleting the
desktop directory doesn't have to be the way to do that.

> Here is another suggestion which could be used by all distributions :
> instead of copying start-here.desktop from $(datadir)/nautilus to
> ~/.gnome-desktop,
> 1- we create $(datadir)/nautilus/default-desktop and we put
> start-here.desktop
> 2- each distribution packager (and system administrator too) can add as
> many .desktop as they want in $(datadir)/nautilus/default-desktop, with
> a .nautilus-metafile.xml
> 3- create_starthere_link_callback is renamed into something like
> create_default_desktop_callback, and copy content of
> $(datadir)/nautilus/default-desktop into ~/.gnome-desktop
>
> Are you ok with this design ? If so, I'll do a patch and will ask for
> review here..

Sounds good -- better than the gmc script thing.

    -- Darin