Re: [Nautilus-list] GMC broke Nautilus!

on 10/1/01 4:20 PM, David Fuchs at dfuchs uniserve com wrote:

>   Once Nautilus starts, it displays all the desktop icons properly,
> and mouse-overs will still highlight the icons and such.  If I open one
> of the icons (single-click in this case), then it opens the appropriate
> window.  Now, I can open as many windows as I want, but as soon as I
> close just one of the opened windows, Nautilus dies.  It's still running
> if I check the process list, but the icons are no longer drawn (moving a
> window over top will erase the icon below), and I have to kill Nautilus
> and have it respawn in order to get the icons back.  Of course the
> problem occurs the next time I happen to close a Nautilus window.

I can't tell you what's wrong, because I haven't heard of this problem
before. But it would be good to diagnose the problem with gdb. If you are
comfortable with that sort of thing, perhaps we can find out what's going
wrong.

It's not surprising that a bug could result in a hang in Nautilus when a
window is closed, although I don't have any particular specific theory about
what's hanging.

Your message doesn't mention the version of Nautilus you are using.

    -- Darin