[Nautilus-list] Re: Bugs

On Fri, 2001-10-05 at 17:27, Darin Adler wrote:
> on 10/5/01 12:11 AM, Chris Heywood at psych primus com au wrote:
>
> > the problem I've had since I first started playing with nautilus (a fair
> > while back) is the detection of whether the background is dark or light
> > for the desktop.  it's just not possible to work this out for every
> > situation a right value which it should be compared by.  so depending on
> > my background, I change the bias on the return value of
> > eel_background_is_dark from 160 to something else.
>
> Before you decide that this is just a wrong bias, I'd like to see a
> background image you're using where it chooses the wrong color, just to be
> sure it's not a bug, but an actual borderline case that's simply falling on
> the wrong side of the algorithm's heuristic. Would you be willing to show me
> the example that gives you the wrong result?

looks like you might be right.  I tried an old background I used to use
which would get it wrong all the time.  it now seems to work fine.

> > and of course changing the bias of this may put off the color of the
> > font in the sidebar (which I've found).
>
> While this may be so, things could also be confused by the bugs. Until a few
> days ago, the algorithm was broken, which could have tainted the evidence
> when you were exploring this and forming your ideas about it.

changing things around, everything seems to work now.  looks like it was
just the broken behavior.

> > it seems that for both these situations it could be hard to always get
> > it right which color to use.  a manual override for these would
> > certainly be handy (eg checkbox "Don't automatically detect the color my
> > desktop background text should be, set it to (combobox) white / black",
> > and checkbox "Don't automatically detect the color my sidebar text
> > should be, set it to (combobox) white / black").
>
> A possibility.

I'll get back in touch if I backgrounds which give me problems.

cheers,
chris