Re: [Nautilus-list] List View Usability Suggestion

On 06Oct2001 02:49PM (+0200), Christian Glodt wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> recently I started to use the list view a bit more. One thing I don't
> like about it is the following: A file or directory can only be selected
> in the list view by clicking on text (or icon). And even worse, clicking
> on empty space (next to a file name for example) de-selects any
> previous selections. All of this makes selecting unnecessarily hard,
> especially when you try to select multiple files by holding Ctrl.
>
> (The same problem exists for drag-and-drop.)
>
> I vote for selection-by-clicking-anywhere-on-a-line.
>
> Opinions? Should I create a bug in bugzilla?

The reason it was done that way originally is to allow for bounding
box drag-selection, like in the icon view. This has not yet been
implemented (obviously). Another reason is to actually have "dead
space" where you can click to clear the selection. The user model is
supposed to be to think of the active item as an icon plus it's label,
not a row.

I'm not necessarily saying the way it is now is right, just explaining
the original reasoning.

 - Maciej