Re: [Nautilus-list] help on managing the file view

<quote who="Paolo Pumilia">

>   - to change the default viewer to gvim, so that text files with
>     no extension can be opened by that program.

Right click on one of these files, then choose 'Open With...' > 'Other
Application...'

You should see gvim listed in the following dialogue box. Select it in the
list and click 'Modify...'

Then you can choose 'Use as default for "plain text document" items'.

Next time you double-click, it will be opened by gvim. If gvim is *not*
listed in the 'Open with Other' dialogue, click on the 'Go There' button for
'File Types and Programs' and add it to the list of applications at the
bottom left.

>   - to make extensions not to be displayed on file names, when listing
>     directory contents using the icon view

Currently not possible, and I don't think that this would be a well-regarded
feature. Yes, Windows does it, but it causes more harm to a learning user
than it does good.

If you request the feature on bugzilla.gnome.org, however, you may find that
others agree.

>   - In case of compressed files.  Both extensions related to the
>   compressor program (.gz, .bz2) and related to the file type be filtered
>   out the file name, when listing directory contents using the icon view
>   Moreover, i would like to use icons corresponding to the file type,
>   rather than marking the compression status and compressed files should
>   be acted on by a script that uncompress them before opening.  Any
>   suggestions?

These changes would reduce the information available for users determining
how to deal with a particular file. At some stage in the near future, you
will be able to browse tars as if they were directories, but not right at
the moment. I don't believe this will hit 1.0.5 either.

> Finally, i hope a next Nautilus release will feature a more flexible
> ability to filter files to be displayed (allowing a selection useing
> regular experssion, possibly)

I'm not sure that you would find much support for this feature. On the other
hand, the Medusa searching system will be making a comeback according to its
author, so perhaps this will better suit your requirements.

- Jeff

--
                          Penguinillas Pack GNUzis