Re: [Nautilus-list] Using the file(1) command to get information about the document format

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:

> on 10/7/01 9:15 AM, Paolo Pumilia at pumilia acm org wrote:
>
> > Has anybody ever considered exploiting the file(1) command to get information
> > about the document format?
>
> The gnome-vfs code that determines the MIME type of a file contains a new
> version of the gnome-libs MIME type code. This code was created by starting
> with the file(1) command source code and data tables and adding MIME type
> information. Unfortunately, it doesn't just use the file(1) command, because
> that command provides only a text description of the file type and not a
> MIME type.

I don't know which file(1) you are using, but,

$ file -i /usr/bin/file
/usr/bin/file: application/x-executable, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

the file I use has mime included, and I have made it into a shared library
libfile.so and modified the client to use it a while back. I'm still in
the process of merging my changes into the main tree.